Advice for better managing my time

I have always been a ‘go with the flow’ kind of person, it helps in certain cases but recently there is a need to pull myself together, be more regimental and organize so i can focus on the multitude of tasks at hand…

I have tried on numerous occasions to create a timetable both physical and online but the transition over is so hard for me to overcome and I feel quite stressed out, after realizing without being able to organize neatly i cannot get the important things done. I’ve been struggling hard with the motivation and drive and was hoping to chance upon a method that can be the guide rails that could help me. I am in a daze as I don’t know why my mind/habits keep rejecting this self-initiated effort to regimentalize my time management.

Alongside this, i would appreciate it so much if you guys could share some tips for me. Especially as someone who has never really followed any timetables and ‘go as i wish’

3 Likes

Heyy @Kopi hmmm yeah it can be difficult to coordinate especially when theres a multitude of things coming in all at once.

Perhaps you can try getting someone accountable as well ? Like someone to remind you / work/ study with you ?

1 Like

This is me too, I find it hard to stick to a schedule/ timetable but personally I feel what helps is to list down all the things or keep in mind what I need to get done in the day/ week, rather than sticking to a time that I have to do this, I’d just keep in mind that I need to do this by then.

I don’t know if I make sense but an example is if I know that I’ve a test in a weeks time, rather than saying that I need to study everyday at this time for a x number of time, I’ll tell and remind myself that I’ve a test and I’ll allocate certain time (not fixed everyday) to study.

I think the main gist is to go slow/ gentle, it’s hard for someone to pivot from going with the flow to someone who follows a schedule down to the tee.

3 Likes

Maybe it’s a matter of prioritization. Can try the Eisenhower Matrix. The link gives you a template to use too!

Let us know how it goes :smiling_face:

3 Likes

Hi @Kopi !

Thanks for sharing with us your struggles, I can imagine how challenging it must feel to go through this transition from a more relaxed approach to a more structured one. It sounds like you’re really grappling with finding the balance between flexibility and organization, especially when faced with a multitude of tasks! It’s completely normal to feel stressed and overwhelmed when trying to implement new habits, especially ones that require such a shift in mindset - honestly I would feel the same too if I were you!

Firstly, it might be helpful to start small. Instead of trying to overhaul your entire schedule at once, maybe you could try incorporating just one or two structured elements into your day at a time? :slight_smile: This could be something as simple as setting specific times for meals or designating blocks of time for focused work.

Secondly, you can consider using visual aids or tools to help you stay organized! You could try using a physical planner or calendar, or explore digital apps and software designed for time management. Experiment with different methods until you find one that resonates with you and feels manageable. I find it helpful to use a habit tracker or a time management tool from the app store (anyone will do!)

Remember, Rome wasn’t built in a day, and forming new habits takes time and patience :slight_smile: Be gentle with yourself as you work through this process, and celebrate the small victories along the way!

Let us know if you’ve tried these suggestions and keep us updated on how you’re doing with your habits!
Hear from you soon :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing about it, i’m glad to now know about this!

2 Likes

Thanks for the really wise words, sometimes we often forget to start small

2 Likes

Glad we could help! And I also completely agree with @cottonsoul, just start small and build towards your goals. :innocent:

1 Like