How do I deal with stress?

What are some of the best ways to relieve stress that doesnt take up my whole day? Like watching tiktok and listening to music are good ways but i basically waste my whole day away doing these things. I need help

3 Likes

Hello @Dani hmm usually what I recommend is to step away from screens and just take a moment to pause, go for a walk or exercise haha but maybe thats tailored more to myself heh

What do you usually like to do on your own free time other than tiktok and music ?

1 Like

Hi Dani

Thanks for sharing about what you’re going through and wanting to learn how to cope better with stress. I hear you when you share about your current coping strategies that reduces stress but takes away a lot of time from you to do other things too. I’m wondering about the things that are stressing you out currently? Which areas are you finding particularly more stressful to deal with. Regarding the size of the problem: do these require dealing with straight away or might it require assistance from others?

I wonder if the tiktoks and music kinda serve like a white noise (as it covers up distracting sounds or sudden changes) so our brain thinks there’s no ‘threat’ and we remain calm. There’s like a numbing effect to it. And I guess some numbing could help when we get flooded with too much of emotions from stress, tiredness, etc. cause we get to be away from the unpleasantness or stop ourselves from getting too overwhelmed.

I sometimes find myself rewatching TV shows or going back to the same songs, and I recently realised there’s a good reason to it!

• Quick way to feel connected to others (we are social beings)
  • Feels safe cause we already know what’s going to happen next (we love to anticipate)
  • Less effort for control (we like to save our energies)

Like all good things, go for it in moderation too. I find that it’s helpful when I set a timer to let me know that’s my limit for the day. In the meantime, like what Otterworldly shared, self-care activities can also buffer you from the effects of stress. Perhaps you can consider (if you haven’t tried them already):

• Regular exercise
  • Get healthy and regular meals
  • Get hydrated
  • Prioritise restful sleep
  • Engage in a relaxing activity
  • Set goals/priorities
  • Practice gratitude
  • Focus on positivity
  • Stay connected
  • You can add on things to this list!
  • You can add on things to this list!

I think that you just want to work on yourself so remember that you deserve and can get the necessary support you need! Do keep us updated here and take care! :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

Maybe a good meal? Food is always my go-to stress reliever haha

1 Like