am i too emotional? how do i cope

i understand fully that im a very emotional person. when i feel emotions, its extremely heightened. i cry when im sad angry, or even when im touched from a sweet gesture. but i also have meltdowns when im stressed, and do things i dont mean to like excessive cursing.

its bad to the point where my friends cannot handle it anymore, as they cannot understand why im so emotional, they feel like they are stepping on egg shells when im stressed, and dont know how to comfort me when im sad.

i told them that i didnt need their comfort! cause ik its alot to handle, so i can do it myself. but i dont want to affect them negatively such that they feel like they are walking on egg shells around me when im stressed.

is there anyway i can cope with such heightened emotions? i dont this to affect them anymore. please help me. im so lost

Dear user1180,

It takes a lot of courage to acknowledge and share your struggles with emotional regulation. Firstly, please know that you’re not alone in this! Many people experience intense emotions, and it’s not a weakness, but rather a sign of your sensitivity and emotional depth. Sending you lots of love and compassion! Hugs

I also hear how it has been impacting on your social relationships and it has come to a point where you feel at a loss as to what to do. To cope with your heightened emotions and minimize the impact on your friends, consider the following strategies:

1. Self-awareness: Recognize your emotional triggers and signs of escalating stress (e.g., physical tension, rapid heartbeat). Take a step back and acknowledge your emotions when you feel them rising, try and locate them in your body and simply observe them (without judging).

2. Emotional labeling: When you feel overwhelmed, label your emotions: “I’m feeling anxious right now” or “I’m really upset.” This helps to acknowledge and process your emotions. Naming the emotions may open the way for you to tame them.

3. Breathing exercises: Practice deep, slow breathing to calm your nervous system. Inhale for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 4 seconds, and repeat.

4. Emotional release: Find healthy outlets for your emotions, like writing in a journal, drawing, or engaging in physical activity. Wonder if you have anyone whom you regularly confide in?

5. Grounding techniques: Use your senses (sight, sound, taste, touch, taste) to ground yourself in the present moment. For example, focus on the feeling of your feet on the ground, the sounds around you, or the sensation of the air on your skin.

6. Communication: Let your friends know that you’re working on managing your emotions and appreciate their support. Ask them to hold you accountable when you’re stressed, but also respect your boundaries when you need space.

7. Seek professional help: Consider therapy or counseling to develop personalized coping strategies and work through underlying issues that may be contributing to your emotional intensity.

Remember, it’s okay to feel overwhelmed, and it’s important to be kind to yourself as you work through this. Your friends care about you and want to support you, but it’s also important to prioritize your own emotional well-being.

Some possible resources you could consider:

Touch Community Services: 1800-377-2252

Care Corner Counselling Centre: 1800-353-5800

eCounselling Centre (Fei Yue): ec2.sg - Fei Yue LimitlessSG:

Samaritans of Singapore (SOS): 1-767 or message them via Caretext (https://www.sos.org.sg/)

Keep in mind that it’s a process, and it may take time to develop new coping mechanisms. Be patient, and don’t hesitate to reach out when you need guidance or support.

Hope this helps, user1188!

Northernlights

1 Like