Anxious about school

Ever since graduating secondary school I realised I get anxious and scared when working on school related matters when it comes to making a choice. (eg,choosing which uni to go to and what course)
I don’t have anything that I really want to do so any choice I make seems like a wrong choice for me. When it comes to interviews and portfolios, I don’t have the courage to convince anyone that I really deserve to go to the course or am really passionate about it. Just thinking about making choices that will affect my life greatly makes me very anxious and I just want to put it off for as long as possible. What should I do?

1 Like

Hi @crystal22

Maybe you could reach out and talk to an Education and Career Guidance (ECG) Counsellor. Additionally, you could also do some research on the available courses and attend university fairs/ open houses.

1 Like

@crystal22

I’d also like to encourage you and say that your career is not set in stone based on what you study. I know a lot of individuals (myself included) that ended up not pursuing a career in the area of their studies. I think what is more important is to be open to experiences and up-skilling, a lot of individuals might find their calling and passion later in life and it’s never too late to switch or learn and explore new things.

Hope this helps give you some assurance! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @crystal22!

Thank you for sharing your struggles with us. I hear you - there’s a lot of pressure to make decisions regarding our future relatively early on in our society, and that can be really stressful and daunting. I want to commend you for reaching out and expressing your concerns about the anxiety you’re experiencing regarding making important life choices after graduating from secondary school. It takes courage to acknowledge these feelings, and I want you to know that you’re most definitely not alone in this struggle.

Feeling anxious and overwhelmed when faced with significant decisions about your future is a common experience, and it’s completely understandable to feel unsure or hesitant about which path to take. Making decisions that will impact your life can be an intimidating process, especially when you’re not entirely sure about your passions or interests.

@Marshmallow.youghurt has mentioned one possible option you could explore - perhaps you may wish to consider seeking guidance from a career counselor or educational advisor who can provide personalised assistance in exploring your interests, strengths, and potential career paths. Many schools and educational institutions offer career guidance services, and there are also government-funded initiatives such as SkillsFuture that provide career and education planning support.

Additionally, if you find that your anxiety is significantly impacting your daily functioning or well-being, it may be helpful to seek support from a mental health professional such as a counselor or therapist. They can work with you to develop coping strategies, explore the underlying factors contributing to your anxiety, and provide support as you navigate through this transitional period in your life.

In the meantime, here are some practical steps you can take to help manage your anxiety and approach decision-making with greater confidence:

• Break tasks into smaller, more manageable steps: Rather than focusing on the overwhelming nature of the decision-making process as a whole, break it down into smaller, actionable steps. This can help make the process feel more manageable and less daunting.

• Explore your interests and values: You could take this as an opportunity to get to know yourself better. Try to set aside some time to reflect on your interests, values, and goals. What activities or subjects do you enjoy? What are your strengths and skills? Understanding yourself better can help guide you towards decisions that align with your passions and aspirations. If this is too challenging to do on your own, you could also explore having this conversation with your ECG Counselor.

• Challenge negative thoughts: Notice any self-doubt or negative thoughts that arise during the decision-making process, and challenge them with more balanced and realistic perspectives. Remind yourself that it’s normal to feel uncertain at times, and that making mistakes is a natural part of the learning process. Here’s an interactive exercise that may help you with this: https://mindline.sg/youth?wysa_tool_id=find_perspective

I just want to end off by reassuring you that it’s okay to take your time and explore different options before making a decision. You don’t have to have all the answers right away - we’re all, in some way or another, still trying to figure things out as we go! Please be patient and compassionate with yourself as you navigate through this process. You have the strength and resilience to overcome your anxiety and make choices that are right for you. Take one step at a time, and know that support is available here whenever you need it! We’re all cheering for you!

Feel free to let us know if you have any further questions, okay? Take care :slight_smile:

1 Like