Coping with school

It’s getting quite demoralizing seeing all my uncompleted tasks that are due pretty soon and I feel so behind my classmates. I feel like no matter how much work I do or how many assignments I complete, there’s so much more left and I cant focus on this many things at once.

I already cut down the amount of time I have for myself and I still feel like I’m not doing enough. I don’t know what I should do because I feel like I’m only barely getting by with school.

1 Like

Hey @ys20, thank you for sharing with me about how you are feeling. I hear you - school can get pretty hectic and overwhelming at times and it feels like you’re the only one falling behind. I want to assure you that you are not alone in this and what you are feeling is very normal. Here are some ideas that may help with managing your incomplete tasks and ease your feelings:

1. Break down your tasks and prioritise them. Whether you choose to prioritise your assignments by the due date or by the amount of time you need to complete it, breaking them down into smaller tasks can help things seem much more manageable and help you focus on one thing at a time.

2. List those smaller tasks down onto a to-do list that you can check off when you are done. The reason for this is every time we complete a task, our brains release dopamine which causes positive feelings like happiness and motivation. The checklist is a visual representation of the tasks that you have already completed and it helps you stay on track on what needs to be done next. Here is a checklist tool that you may wish to try out (Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Workplace Mental Health | mindline.sg)

3. Figure out what are your productive hours. Everyone is wired differently - some work best at night when it’s quiet while others work best early in the morning when they wake up. Try to allocate your most challenging tasks to the hours you feel most productive, and leave the smaller, easier tasks to when you don’t feel like working as much.

4. Take frequent breaks and reward yourself! It is important to take care of yourself especially during exam or submission season. Whether it’s taking a 5min break for every 30min that you work, or treating yourself to some bubble tea when you’re done with an assignment - remember that rest is productive and essential for us to keep going.

5. Talk to your peers about how you feel. Chances are that you’re not the only one who is feeling stressed out about your assignments. Sharing how you feel with others and learning where your peers are at on their to-do list could help you feel less alone in your journey.

Here is a productivity tool you may wish to try out when you’re having a hard time focusing (Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Workplace Mental Health | mindline.sg) and a positivity exercise if you need a dopamine kick (Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Workplace Mental Health | mindline.sg).

I hope this helps and all the best! ٩(。•́‿•̀。)۶

2 Likes

On prioritization, I like to use the Eisenhower Matrix to help me decide. Here’s an example!

Hope this helps! :relaxed:

2 Likes