Cried at work

I was so stressed at work today I had a mini breakdown in office from exhaustion, although I felt fulfilled. For context I work in a high stress media environment and I’m usually ok, but today was really bad and I cried without any particular reason why and just felt so tired. How can I navigate this going forward and prevent myself from breaking down in office?

1 Like

Hi @sleepypop, I’m sorry to hear that you experienced such a challenging day at work. Working in a high-stress media environment can undoubtedly take a toll. To navigate this in the future and prevent breakdowns in the office, consider incorporating stress management techniques into your routine. Prioritize self-care, take short breaks throughout the day, and communicate with colleagues about your workload. Setting clear boundaries between work and personal life can also help, providing you with the mental space to decompress. If these challenges persist, don’t hesitate to seek support from friends, family, or even consider consulting a mental health professional for guidance on coping strategies tailored to your situation. Remember, taking care of your well-being is essential, and seeking help is a sign of strength. :hand_with_index_finger_and_thumb_crossed:

1 Like

Did you feel better after crying? Actually I think crying is just our body’s natural response to cope with the overwhelming stressors.

I’ve not worked in a media environment before but maybe giving yourself intentional breaks can help to space things out a bit. Even blocking out 15-min slots and doing some deep breathing exercises and help regulate your emotions before going back to the grind.

Let us know if this worked for you! :smiling_face:

Hi there @sleepypop,

Thank you for coming on here and sharing about your struggle at the office. I wanna commend you for having the self-awareness to reach out; it must’ve been so overwhelming for you that you found yourself breaking down and exhausted. :people_hugging:

First off, crying can be cathartic when it provides relief and based on what you went through, your reaction to the situation is valid. I’m also heartened to hear you wanting to manage your responses better. I wonder if this had happened to you before? If yes, how did you cope with it previously? And what do you think is different from before - could it be that you did not have the same resources you had or you required additional information (given the nature of your work) or is it something else (like related to outside of work)? :thinking: If that’s the case, what can you do differently the next time you realise something similar happens or how do you get the resources you need? Could there be someone you can speak to about this - perhaps a person that you trust and is supportive - in an open discussion where you get your needs heard clearly and without judgment.

At the same time, you can bolster your distress tolerance by practising when you’re in a calm environment and without distractions:

• engaging in deep breathing and being mindful to modulate your stress levels
  • being kind to yourself to yourself as you go through a difficult time
  • being assertive in asking for what you need in a clear manner (and that is not demanding or pushy) or negotiating against unreasonable demands

Do let us know what you think about this and remember, you deserve and can get the necessary support you need! Take care! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like