Help me with my situation

I am staying with 13 family members in a 4 room hdb flat and this makes me emotionally distress and cramped in the house. I am diagnosed with generalised anxiety disorder and i wonder if there are any welfare services / accomodation that can help me to find a place to stay. Any of you would be willing to let me stay in your place temporarily?

1 Like

Hi @user1005 I’m not entirely sure how I can help you but maybe you can try finding a family service center near you ?

1 Like

Hello @user1005,

Thanks for coming on and sharing about your struggles with anxiety and your home condition. It must be really suffocating and anxiety-inducing if this reduces the possibility of personal space. I just want to let you know that what you’re feeling and thinking given your circumstances is valid. :people_hugging: I’m also curious to know what do you do to cope with your anxiety?

I wonder if you’ve spoken to your family members about the situation at home? I wonder if there’s an uncertainty regarding the number of people going to change/reduce? An open discussion about this, perhaps with a family member that you trust and can offer helpful suggestion, might be worth having. This could be done in a setting where no one is in a rush and preferably with minimal distractions, using I-statements: When (describe what happened re: living arrangements), I think/feel … because… and I would prefer that (what you would like to see happen e.g., get a win-win scenario of a feasible long-term living arrangement) so that we can (support and enable everyone to get some personal space).

I’m also heartened to hear you looking out for yourself (your consideration of external accomodation) and taking charge of your mental well-being. You mentioned a diagnosis of generalised anxiety disorder; I wonder about the support you’re receiving to manage your worries and beliefs about the things you worry (e.g., dealing with distraction/avoidance behaviour, evaluating the severity of the threat, etc.)? - as it helps when you’re supported by people who understand your diagnosis, and receiving psychotherapy and medication, if required, to work through and process your distress. :slightly_smiling_face:

Looking to hear back from you. Remember that you deserve and can get the necessary support you need. Until then, take care!

1 Like