How do i create my self-identity

I see friends around me who very strong sense of purpose and goals, yet i always feel like i don’t know who i am and what i want. how do you create that sense of self awareness? need advices!

3 Likes

I think it’s about being exposed to more experiences. Talk to more people, especially those older than you to learn about their life journeys. That’s a much faster way to know what you could potentially like or dislike.

And even if you still don’t know what you want in life, that’s fine too. It’s also complete fine to change what you want in life as you grow and experience new / more things.

Sometimes I like to use the elimination method, I know that I’m really bad at tinkering with stuff so I can never do engineering or similar jobs. :smiling_face_with_tear:

What have you considered?

2 Likes

Hello @anonymous128 agreed with @Jaws exploring and trying out new things is a good way to find purpose !

One advice is to take your time, one thing that resonated with me when speaking to a career guide was he said that it doesn’t matter which age you find a purpose some people find it early some people late in their lives what matters is that you keep trying.

Also I think it’s a good thing to surround yourself with people that are motivated and driven :slight_smile: However don’t get too stressed out by comparing your journey with theirs. Focus in taking one step at a time at your own terms.

Hope to hear from you heh jiayou :muscle:t2:

2 Likes

Hi @anonymous128

Thanks for this question! I think it’s a very relatable one and many of us struggle with that as well (even those who may seem to have a sense of purpose). With that being said, I think you should focus on yourself and find the answers to those questions “who I am” and “what I want”. I’m proud that you’re tackling these big life questions head on! :boom:

Personally, I think the 2nd question might be easier to tackle as you could generally start by reviewing a list of things that you like! Usually these can help shed light on things that you’re passionate about. The challenge then would be turning these into personal goals and deciding what you should focus on achieving.

As for the 1st question, I would recommend looking at it from a strengths-based approach. Knowing your strengths can help you understand what you naturally do better than other people and what makes you, uniquely you. :sparkles:

It is okay if you don’t have the answers to all these questions right now. But I think it’s important for you to start thinking about it! Perhaps you could start by creating a list of what you like and what you’re good at. Over time build on this list when you think of something new and look at it again at the end of the year. Feel free to drop us a note here if you would like to share more of what you’ve thought about! :smiling_face:

2 Likes