I feel like a burden

How should I cope with social anxiety when I am alone? I feel like a burden when I always have to rely on my loved ones to help me but I don’t know how to cope when I am all by myself. I am afraid of stepping out of the house alone because everyone seems to be judging me.

I am sorry that you are going through this. As an introvert, I personally also feel high levels of anxiety whenever I have to meet new people or go to large gatherings. You may want to speak with a counsellor or doctor if you feel that the feelings are overwhelming and creating barriers in your life. For me, I have learnt to cope better over time by accepting that this is who I am, and that it’s ok to enjoy the company of myself and in a small group setting. I do push my own boundaries further to grow as a person by going for more social events once in a while and I find that I do enjoy them even if they do take up much of my energy.

There are resources which can help you cope better when you feel such feelings of anxiety. Hope these help! :sparkling_heart:

2 Likes

same thoughts! I think the part about accepting who I am is something that I hear often from my parents/ teachers but have trouble internalising. I find your comment on pushing your boundaries to be similar to what I would think too

1 Like

That really sounds awful and terrifying to face everyday. But I just wanna say that you are more capable and independent than you think you are. The fact that you even dared to write a post about this shows how much courage you already have. I hope you will manage to overcome your barriers. :heart::muscle:t2:

1 Like

Hi @icecream

Firstly, thank you for sharing your honest thoughts and feelings here on this platform – it takes a lot of courage to be so vulnerable here and I’m really glad you reached out to talk about this. I want you to know that you’re not alone in experiencing social anxiety, and your feelings are completely valid. I can imagine how distressing and frustrating it can sometimes feel to have to manage the feelings of anxiety that can sometimes overwhelm you. I affirm your efforts to seek help here on this platform and I am proud of you for reaching out.

I want to encourage you that there is hope for the situation and you are not alone. I would like to share some strategies and helpful suggestions so that you can learn to cope.

For starters, I think it’s important to be kind and patient with yourself. Self-compassion is a powerful way to help you manage your anxiety. When you recognize that these feelings are valid, and you’re not a burden to your loved ones – that they care about you and want to support you, you will be able to extend patience and kindness to yourself, the same way that your family and friends are extending to you too :blush: If you don’t know where to start, you can try out our activity here on self-compassion: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

Another wonderful technique you can try is mindfulness. Mindfulness involves staying in the present moment without judgment. When you’re alone and anxiety starts to creep in, focus on your breathing or the sensations in your body. Taking slow, deep breaths can reduce physical symptoms of anxiety. You can practice deep breathing here: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

I would also recommend trying gradual exposure. This means that you could start by taking small steps outside of your comfort zone and stretching your window of tolerance. For example, you could start by just stepping outside for a few minutes or taking a short walk around your neighborhood. Gradually increase the time and distance as you become more comfortable outside and keep encouraging yourself to not give up trying! With more exposure, you’ll get better at managing your feelings too.

Last but not least, I encourage you to challenge the negative thoughts that come to your mind. When you feel like everyone is judging you, try to remind yourself that actually most people are too preoccupied with their own lives to pay much attention to others. Remember that your thoughts aren’t necessarily reality :blush: You can also practice challenging your negative thoughts by countering them with positive thoughts, and one activity that you can start with is: Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

Again, I want to commend you for reaching out on this platform to seek support. Another way you can seek support is through therapy – you can consider seeking professional help from a therapist or counselor who specializes in anxiety. They are mental health experts who can provide you with tools and strategies tailored to your specific needs and can support you throughout your journey.

Please remember that progress may be slow, and there will be ups and downs, but with time and effort, you can learn to manage your social anxiety and regain more confidence in yourself. Let us know how you’re coping, and if you need more support – we’ll be here with you.

1 Like