Is having negative thoughts a mental illness?

Currently experiencing:

• negative thoughts towards myself and family members
  • being lazy and depressed
  • hate on people who are happy with their lives for no reason
  • hard to think positively and be happy
2 Likes

Thanks for sharing @user1005! I think only a mental health professional can diagnose a mental illness after they’ve done several tests.

It’s hard to say but I think many of us would have had similar negative thoughts from time to time. Have you been feeling like this for a long time?

1 Like

Yes since i am in secondary school. I am going to see a counselor to speak about this soon… I should have seen a counselor earlier but i didn’t think it was serious

2 Likes

Hello @user1005 thanks for sharing ! Happy to see that you are taking steps to improve on your mental well-being :slight_smile: Just wanna say it shouldnt matter when you should have went but what really matters is that you are trying now :people_hugging:

Do update us on how it goes we will still be here waiting for you with open arms regardless of what happens :hugs:

2 Likes

Hi @user1005 I hear you. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a challenging time. It takes courage to acknowledge and seek help for these feelings. Seeing a counselor is a positive step, and it’s never too late to prioritize your mental health. Remember that you don’t have to face these difficulties alone, and professional support can make a significant difference. Be kind to yourself during this process, and if you ever feel overwhelmed, don’t hesitate to reach out to your best friends, trusted family member, or a support network. There’s strength in seeking help, and I hope you find the support and guidance you need to navigate through this difficult period. Please take care, :orange_heart:

3 Likes

That’s good to hear, @user1005. It’s a big first step and I hope it’ll be a good experience for you.

Thought this thread might be useful for you too where @Marshmallow.youghurt shares about her experience finding the right therapist.

Let us know how it goes with your counsellor!

1 Like

Hi @user1005

Thanks for sharing with us how you feel. I’m truly sorry to hear that you’re going through such a challenging time right now. It sounds like you’re carrying a heavy burden of negative thoughts and emotions, and I know that it can feel very overwhelming. I want to acknowledge that struggling with these feelings doesn’t make you weak or unworthy.

It’s understandable that when you’re feeling depressed and disconnected, it can be difficult to find joy in the happiness of others. But please know that these feelings are temporary, and there is hope for brighter days ahead.

If you’re willing, I have 2 suggestions that might be helpful for you right now:

1. Practice being compassionate and gentle with yourself during this difficult time. It’s okay to not be okay :slight_smile: Try to treat yourself with the same kindness and understanding that you would offer to a friend in a similar situation. You could also engage in activities that bring you comfort and solace, whether it’s taking a warm bath, going for a walk in nature, or indulging in a hobby you enjoy.

2. I want to encourage you to reach out to a therapist or counselor who can provide you with additional support. Therapy can offer a safe and non-judgmental space for you to explore your feelings, learn coping strategies, and work through the underlying causes of your depression and negative thoughts. If you need to speak to one soon, you can actually walk in to a nearby Family Service Centre or try these online options:

I want to encourage you that taking small steps towards self-care and seeking support can make a huge difference. Please do remember, you are not alone in your struggles, and it’s okay to ask for help.

Let us know how you’re doing and what you’ve decided to do? We’re here to support you. Hear from you soon.

2 Likes

Hi @user1005

I hope your 1st session goes well and even if it doesn’t, don’t be discouraged, I took a couple of tries too before I found a suitable therapist for myself. Therapy is akin to dating, need to find the right “partner” for yourself.

Usually the first few sessions are intake sessions where there’ll be some admin and also a time to get to familiarise better/ build rapport with each other and be prepared for questions such as what made you seek counselling, what do you hope to achieve from counselling etc.

I would say go into sessions with an open mind and heart, share as much as you can (do it at a comfortable pace) and you’ll find that therapy can be very beneficial for you and you can heal and glean a lot from it.

I wish you the best in your counselling journey, do keep us in the loop if you’d like about how your 1st session went! Take care! :heart:

4 Likes