Is it considered cheating? How do I move forward from here?

Hi. I need some advice…. I recently found a secret chat on my partner’s telegram and the content of it was…. Sext. It was a secret chat with a lady meant to disappear after awhile and there were 2 unread msges, one of which was a picture of the lady teasing with one of her body part. I was shivering when I saw it and I cried uncontrollably. After awhile, I confronted my partner and while he initially played dumb, he came clean as soon as I shove his phone to his face and asked him to check his telegram. I was shaking because I didn’t expect this at all, I didn’t even think he was capable of doing this to me nor behind my back.

I decided to give him a chance to explain himself. He asked first if I can bring myself to believe him. I just kept quiet. He continued on by assuring me that he is not having an affair with anyone and isnt sleeping around. The lady that he was sexting with, they have never met nor do they know how each other looks like. But yes ultimately, he admitted to the sexting. Long story short, we haven’t been doing the deed as often as before especially not after having a child but he has high libido and at the same time, he mentioned that he often sympathise with me as I’m always exhausted so he don’t have the heart to tempt me at all or temp me any further to do the deed together. As a result, he resort to ■■■■■■■■■■■■ via ■■■■ or this occasional sext (his words) with the same lady. Sometimes, his high libido is stress-induced so the above would happen too esp if it’s late at night and I’m asleep.

I immediately felt at fault because yes it’s true, most of the time I do reject his attempts at doing the deed but part of me is also thinking, is it really my fault that this happened? So in that case, did he cheat on me? I feel like I’ve been cheated on although to him it is just sext. We are married, with a child. I do not want to see this marriage end but I need someone to break this down for me and help me navigate through this because I’m at a loss on what to do etc and this isn’t something that I can openly share to friends or family. Is this cheating? Is it my fault? I am so paranoid now, I would at times wait for him to fall asleep at night so that I know he won’t do any “night activitiy”.

Help me please :pensive:

2 Likes

Hi @manda2,

Thank you for sharing what you’re going through. It sounds incredibly painful and confusing, and it’s completely understandable that you’re feeling this way. Let’s talk through this together.

Finding out about the secret chat must have been a huge shock. It’s natural to feel betrayed and hurt when you discover something like this. Your emotions are valid, and it’s important to acknowledge how deeply this has affected you. It’s okay to cry and feel overwhelmed.

When you confronted your partner, it’s understandable that you were shaking and felt a mix of emotions. It’s a lot to process. Your partner admitted to the sexting and explained his reasons, but that doesn’t necessarily make it easier to accept or understand.

It’s important to remember that while he might have reasons for his behavior, it doesn’t excuse the fact that it hurt you. You deserve to feel respected and secure in your relationship. Sexting, even if it’s not physical, can still feel like a betrayal because it breaks the trust and intimacy you share.

Feeling at fault for rejecting his attempts at intimacy is a heavy burden to carry. Relationships are complex, and intimacy issues are often multifaceted. It’s not fair to place all the blame on yourself. You’ve been dealing with exhaustion and the demands of having a child, which are significant factors that impact your energy and desire for intimacy. It’s not your fault that he chose to handle his needs in this way.

Wondering if this is cheating and if it’s your fault is natural in this situation. Cheating can be defined differently by different people, but it often comes down to a breach of trust and intimacy. If it feels like cheating to you, then it’s valid to consider it as such. Your feelings matter.

Lastly, it is very important to recognize that your feelings of paranoia are a natural response to the betrayal you’ve experienced. When trust is broken, it’s common to feel anxious and hypervigilant. These feelings are your mind’s way of trying to protect you from further hurt. Acknowledge that it’s okay to feel this way and that it doesn’t make you weak or irrational.

Here are some steps you might consider:

1. Sit down with your partner and discuss your feelings openly. Let him know how his actions have affected you and express your need for reassurance and transparency moving forward. Ask for regular check-ins where you can both talk about your feelings and any concerns you might have. This can help you feel more connected and reduce anxiety. Establish clear boundaries regarding what is and isn’t acceptable in your relationship. Both of you should agree on these boundaries and commit to respecting them. Discuss what transparency looks like for both of you. This might include sharing phone passwords or having open access to certain accounts, but only if both partners agree and it helps rebuild trust.

2. Seeking the help of a couples counselor can provide a safe space for both of you to discuss your feelings and work through the issues in your relationship. A professional can guide you in rebuilding trust and improving communication.

3. Be kind to yourself. It’s not your fault that this happened. Intimacy in a relationship can be challenging, especially with the demands of parenthood. Acknowledge your efforts and understand that it’s okay to have boundaries and needs. Engage in mindfulness practices such as deep breathing, meditation, or yoga. These techniques can help reduce anxiety and keep you grounded in the present moment. Try to focus on activities that bring you joy and relaxation. Engaging in hobbies or spending time with loved ones can provide a much-needed distraction and help ease your mind. Write down your thoughts and feelings. Journaling can be a therapeutic way to process your emotions and gain clarity. It can also help you track your progress over time.

4. Trust is rebuilt through consistent, trustworthy actions over time. Your partner needs to demonstrate reliability and honesty continuously. Pay attention to his behavior. Is he being more open and transparent? Is he making an effort to reassure you and respect your boundaries? While it might be tempting to constantly check your partner’s phone or social media, try to limit these behaviors as they can fuel paranoia. Instead, focus on building trust and open communication. Consider seeing a couples counselor who can help mediate these discussions and provide tools for rebuilding trust. A professional can offer guidance on how to navigate these difficult emotions and improve communication.

5. While you might not feel comfortable sharing this with friends or family, consider individual therapy to address your feelings of paranoia and anxiety. A therapist can provide personalized strategies to help you cope and work through your emotions.

Managing paranoia after a betrayal is a gradual process. It’s important to be patient with yourself and recognize that rebuilding trust takes time. By focusing on open communication, self-care, and seeking support, you can begin to address your feelings of paranoia and work towards healing your relationship. Your desire to maintain your marriage is important, and it’s possible to work through this with effort and support. Remember, you’re not alone in this, and it’s okay to seek help to navigate through this difficult time.

Take care, Manda2. We’re here for you, and it’s okay to take things one step at a time. You’re not alone in this.

1 Like

Yes, him making all that effort to chat w a girl until they exchange naughty photos is enough

1 Like

It must have been traumatizing to discover the secret chat and have him play dumb. I think different people define cheating differently. Sexting (with the same girl some more) is probably cheating to me. Especially if they have had a prolonged conversation. Did he say how he met this girl?