Is this normal?

Job hunting for 5 months but still unable to secure a full time position suited for myself. really burnt out from applying and unsure of which career pathaway is suited for me. A lot of emotions involved from rejections and interviews. Real imposter syndrome and feel like not cut out for corporate world and adulting. Job hunting is emotionally exhausting and draining.

Dear @Mentalhealth60, I can understand the stress and anxiety you are going through. Is this your first job out of school? I can share my own experience when I graduated out of uni. I studied social science & business and always found research work to be interesting. So I thought I will try find a job in a market research company because it combined my interest and training. I applied to a few global market research firms, got interviews with some, was rejected by some, and I did finally get accepted to one company. The first week in the company was training. After the first day, I knew this wasn’t a job for me but I stayed for the week. I quit thereafter and knew in my heart then that I needed to do something aligned to my passion. I knew myself better through this experience - I knew that I was someone who has little patience for “working” but am motivated to do good and improve society. So I switched my focus completely and looked for social services and government jobs. And I was hired into one agency and had the most fulfilling first career.

It can take anywhere between 3 months to 8 months to find a job, depending on the sector and your level of experience. Don’t give up hope! The right job will find you. I encourage you to speak with a career coach (look at WSG site) or an older working adult whom you look up to to seek inspiration and direction. They could give you input on your CV, give you tips on interviewing and dressing, and maybe point out jobs which are aligned to your skills and passion.

Understanding ourselves in often an important process. I encourage you to use some of the resources here in mindline.sg to know yourself better and find strength within.

Hope this is helpful for you @Mentalhealth60. I am rooting for you to find a job that is right for you! Keep us updated on your progress.

(post deleted by author)

Dear @Mentalhealth60,

Thank you for reaching out to us on this platform. Trying to land the ideal job is indeed challenging, and receiving multiple rejections can be very disheartening. It’s natural to feel pain and discomfort when it seems like you’re navigating a long, dark tunnel with no end in sight.

You have been coping with these feelings for a long time, and I want to commend you for your courage in sharing and your resilience in pushing on despite these strong, uncomfortable emotions. Reaching out for support is a positive step in the right direction. Well done! :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

Adulting and finding the right job that matches our lifestyle and needs can often make us feel like imposters. This is a common experience for many young adults transitioning to life after formal education. In school, things are structured and outcomes are more predictable, but in the real working world, these outcomes are not guaranteed, which can lead to fear and anxiety. Nevertheless, the life skills and strengths that got you through difficult moments in school can once again help you navigate life’s different challenges.

Here are some suggestions for your consideration:

Seek Guidance: Reach out to a career counsellor or coach to gain insights into your strengths and discover which roles may be more suitable for your personality. They can provide new perspectives and help you identify potential career paths you might not have considered. Additionally, they can offer tips and suggestions on improving your resume. You may want to check out NTUC career coaching.

Expand Your Search: Look beyond traditional job boards. Networking, attending industry events, and leveraging social media platforms like LinkedIn can open up new opportunities.

In the interim while waiting you may want to try Freelancing or Part-time Work. These can provide valuable experience and income while you continue your search for a full-time position. Volunteering can also help you gain new skills, build your network, and potentially lead to job opportunities.

Sometimes, what makes the job hunting process tedious are the uncomfortable emotions we experience. To manage these feelings and avoid burnout, try the following:

Set Realistic Goals: Set small, achievable goals for your job search each day to avoid feeling overwhelmed. For example, aim to apply to a certain number of jobs per week or dedicate a set amount of time to networking. Afterward, engage in activities that bring you joy in a healthy way, such as watching a comedy reel, or learning a new skill like cooking a meal.

Take Breaks: It’s important to take regular breaks to recharge. Engage in activities you enjoy and spend time with friends and family to maintain a healthy balance.

Practice Self-care & Self-compassion: Engage in regular exercise, maintain a healthy diet, and ensure you get sufficient sleep to improve your mood and energy levels. Additionally, practice being kind to yourself and recognise the importance of self-compassion during this challenging time. Each day, take a few moments to write down three things you appreciate about yourself or three things you did well. This simple exercise can help shift your focus towards self-compassion and reinforce positive self-esteem.

Acknowledge Your Achievements: Keep a record of your accomplishments and positive feedback from previous roles or projects. Remind yourself of your strengths and successes.

Positive Self-talk: Challenge negative thoughts by replacing them with positive affirmations. Remember that everyone faces rejection and setbacks in their career journey.

Focus on Growth: View each interview and application as a learning experience. Each step, whether successful or not, brings you closer to finding the right position.

Sometimes job hunting is like a marathon, not a sprint. It’s normal to feel discouraged at times, but persistence and a proactive approach will eventually lead to success. Be kind to yourself during this process. I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

Best of luck with your job search!

Warm regards,
CoolBreeze =)

Hi thanks for your encouragement. I have consulted career coaching, but advice given is quite general and find it ok but tough in this job market.

1 Like

Hi @Mentalhealth60 :wave:t4:

You’re most welcome. :smiley: I’m glad to hear that you’ve taken the proactive step of consulting a career coach. Considering the challenges of the current job market, it’s commendable that you’re seeking support in navigating your career journey. You might find it beneficial to explore career coaches with diverse experiences and expertise. Sometimes, consulting a coach outside of Singapore can provide a fresh perspective and new insights that may be valuable in your career exploration. Remember, job markets can evolve over time, and your perseverance and dedication will make a difference. Wishing you all the best in your journey ahead.