Loneliness

To anyone here,
All my friends have left me. (I didn’t have many in the first place.) Some of them have ignored me when I shared my interests with them. (Eg talking to them about a TV show I found (didn’t actually happen))
Now I feel that no one easily acessible offline is there for me.
I don’t feel like it’s their fault, but I just feel lonely. What should I do?

Dear @nofriends ,

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way. It’s tough when you feel like there’s no one around to connect with. :people_hugging: Thank you for coming here to share your feelings with us. Being open to new ideas and reaching out for support is a step in the right direction. Well done! :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

If you feel comfortable, could you share a bit more about what you mean when you say all your friends have left you? Did they move away, switch schools, or simply stop talking to you?

Wanting to have face-to-face friendships is wonderful. Bonding with people in real time, rather than through a device, does wonders for our well-being. Here are some suggestions for your consideration:

1. Explore New Interests: Joining clubs or groups that focus on things you’re interested in, like a sports team, a book club, or a hobby group, can help you meet people who share your passions.

2. Volunteering: Helping out in your community can be a great way to meet new people and also make a positive impact. It might also help you feel more connected. You may want to check out Brahm Centre’s Youth Care, Youth Corps Singapore.

3. School Activities: Participating in school events, whether it’s sports, arts, or any other extracurricular activities, can also help you meet new friends.

Here are some tips on how to make new friends:

• Be Approachable: Smile and make eye contact. This can make you seem more friendly and open to conversation.
  • Start Small: Begin with small talk about common interests or experiences, like school, hobbies, or favourite TV shows. It’s okay if some people don’t share your interests. You can still become friends by learning about what each other likes.
  • Show Interest: Ask questions and show genuine interest in what others are saying. This can help build a connection.
  • Body Language: Pay attention to body language, such as posture and gestures. For example, if someone is facing you and making eye contact, they are likely interested in the conversation.
  • Facial Expressions: Notice facial expressions to understand how someone is feeling. A smile usually means they’re happy or friendly.
  • Tone of Voice: Listen to the tone of voice to gauge emotions. A cheerful tone often indicates friendliness, while a flat tone might mean disinterest.

If you’re feeling really down, it might be helpful to talk to a trusted adult, like a teacher, school counsellor, or family member. They can offer support and might have ideas on how to meet new people.

Sometimes it takes time to build new friendships. Being open to new experiences and people can help create those connections. It’s okay to feel lonely sometimes, and reaching out is a brave first step. You’re not alone in feeling this way, and there are ways to make new connections whenever you are ready.

I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

Take care,
Cool Breeze =)

1 Like