Money or Family?

My mum was retrenched from her job due to covid. My dad quit his job to help my mum. After all my mum was the only who provided more income for the family than my dad.

My mum and dad started their own business but my mum has spent less time for me. When i get mad about how little time she spends with me, she’d get mad in return and explain the importance of money and how she is just tryna provid a life for me. She has also bailed on me multiple times and her reasons were always the same “im so sorry, i was busy”

Honestly to me, idc if we’re poor, have no roof, have no internet etc. To me having the family together is what’s more important. Ever since mum and dad started working together, I’ve noticed how much they argue and once was so bad that my mum called the police :frowning:

So yea… to me… money can’t rebuilt a broken family, but a united family can rebuilt the lost income :slight_smile:

I am honestly proud of how far my mum has come in her business and how she has never given up on something that she really wants despite it being bad for her health. But i can’t bear to see her extremely tired from her business nor can i bear seeing my parents in so much heat against one another :frowning:

5 Likes

So true :point_up::point_up:

I feel you because my parents were always out working when I was younger. So I stayed with my grandmother and only saw my parents once every month or so. I get that they’re trying to make ends meet but you’re absolutely right, money can’t rebuild a broken family. :people_hugging::people_hugging:

1 Like

Hi Arya

It must be tough for you to see your mum and dad got through tough times.

The tense family situation can be overwhelming especially during situations of intense conflict and you may feel that you are stuck in the middle. The most difficult part is dealing with disappointments when our expectations are not met especially with the people we care about. And sometimes “I’m so sorry, I was busy” is not enough.

But the biggest challenge is for us to be understanding, accepting and be supportive to the best of your ability. What it also sounds like is that you yearn for undisturbed personal quality time with your mum.

3 Likes

Hey @arya.z , I can imagine that this must be a difficult time for you and your family. Thank you for sharing with us your concerns. :pray:t2:

It sounds like you deeply value family and connection over financial success, and that’s a valid perspective. It must be tough to witness your parents going through such difficulties, both in their business and personal lives.

I want to affirm you again that your concerns are all valid. While financial stability is important, finding a middle ground that allows for family time and well-being is crucial. Your parents may not be fully aware of the impact their choices have on you, so opening up communication can be a crucial step toward rebuilding a more balanced and harmonious family life.

Have you considered having an open conversation with your parents about your feelings and the impact their work dynamic is having on the family?

2 Likes

not really… i don’t like to bother others with my issues… but my psychologist might be working with my parents more in 2024 so hopefully will be better?? :confused::woman_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes

It’s understandable that you may not want to burden others, but sharing your feelings with others is a crucial part of self-care. It’s positive to hear that your psychologist is planning to work with your parents; their support could make a significant difference. Remember, you don’t have to face everything alone, and seeking support is a strength, not a burden. :open_hands:t2:

2 Likes