Overthinking

How do I stop or minimise overthinking? It happens every time when it is near submission period or stressful times.

Hi eggroll!

Thank you for reaching out and expressing your worries! I very much understand how tough and mentally tiring submission period can be, and your feelings are totally valid. You might find things to be very stressful and overwhelming, especially when you have a lot of your plate. It happens to the best of us but fret not, there are definitely ways to minimise overthinking.

Personally, I would try taking a few minutes to sit and write down everything that I have in mind. I find that writing down my thoughts help me to detangle these overwhelming thoughts into more concrete thought processes that are easier to understand. My head usually becomes clearer and I see things from a bigger picture, which helps me minimise my overthinking.

All the best for your submissions! We are all in this together and don’t be afraid to ask for help from those around you! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @eggroll, thank you for your question! I imagine it must be frustrating to be overthinking when times are stressful and you are already busy with things to do for your submissions. Here are some ways we can help minimise overthinking:

1. Shift your focus to problem-solving rather than dwelling on the problem. Often times when we overthink, we are thinking of the “what-ifs” and we lose sight of what is actually happening and what we can do about our situation. For this, make a list of the things that you are stressed about and divide them into two categories: (1) the things you can control, and (2) the things you cannot control. What we want to do here is to focus on the list of things within your control and come up with solutions or a plan for how you can solve the issue. You may not execute that plan immediately, but this will allow you to have a clearer picture on what needs to be done and help you have better peace of mind.

2. Practice mindfulness. As humans, we are constantly generating all kinds thoughts. But just because a thought occurs, does not necessarily mean that it is the truth or that we have to act on it. It is up to you to decide if you want to accept a thought or let it go. Additionally, moments of overthinking can be a good opportunity to reassess the situation and fact-check what is true. Here is a mindfulness exercise you may wish to try out (https://mindline.sg/youth/?wysa_tool_id=balance_yourself).

3. Put things into perspective. Often when we overthink, we tend to make problems seem a lot bigger than they actually are. Gaining perspective can help us think more rationally about the situation. You could ask yourself questions like “would this matter in 5 years?” or “what evidence do I have that support or go against what I’m thinking is true?”

Here are some more exercises you may find helpful when you are overwhelmed and overthinking
(1) (Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Workplace Mental Health | mindline.sg)
(2) (Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Workplace Mental Health | mindline.sg)
(3) (Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Workplace Mental Health | mindline.sg).

I hope this helps and I wish you all the best for your submissions! (๑˃ᴗ˂)ﻭ

1 Like