situational anxiety

im feeling extremely scared and anxious. im sweating, shaking and breathing heavily and i cant get myself together. im scared of unfamiliar situations. i have been like this since when i was a kid. i cant seem to overcome it and i feel helpless and useless

Dear @anonymous295 ,

Thank you for coming to this platform to share what you’re going through. I’m really sorry to hear that you’re feeling this way. :people_hugging: It’s important to know that you’re not alone and that there are ways to manage and overcome these feelings.

I want to start by acknowledging how incredibly hard it must be for you to feel this scared and anxious, especially when it’s been something you’ve dealt with since childhood. It takes immense strength to confront these feelings and reach out for support. Well done for taking that step, I’m proud of you! :clap:t4: :clap:t4:

Anxiety is like a built-in alarm system in our bodies that helps us notice and deal with things that might be dangerous or stressful. For example, if you’re about to cross a busy road and a car suddenly speeds towards you, anxiety kicks in and tells your body to quickly move out of the way to keep you safe.

But sometimes, this alarm system can get a bit too sensitive and start going off even when there’s no real danger. That’s when you might feel anxious for no apparent reason, like when you’re just sitting in your room or hanging out with friends.

Feeling anxious is totally normal and nothing to be ashamed of. It’s just your body’s way of trying to protect you, even if it’s a bit overzealous sometimes. Understanding anxiety means knowing that it’s there to help you, but also learning how to manage it so it doesn’t get in the way of your daily life or make you feel too stressed out.

Anxiety can be a series of uncomfortable sensations in the body. It’s completely normal to feel overwhelmed by these intense emotions, and it’s important to give yourself grace during this time. As you navigate through these feelings, remember that finding the next just-right step is key. Take things one step at a time, focusing on what feels manageable in the present moment.

Here are a few self-reflection journal prompts that might help you explore your feelings further:

1. What specific situations or triggers seem to worsen your anxiety? How do these situations make you feel?
  2. Can you recall any past experiences or events that may have contributed to your anxiety? How do these memories affect you now?
  3. How do you typically cope with feelings of fear and anxiety? Are there any coping strategies that have been helpful for you in the past?
  4. What support systems or resources do you currently have in place to help you manage your anxiety? Are there any additional supports you would like to explore?

It’s completely normal to feel scared and anxious, especially in unfamiliar situations. Many people experience these feelings, and it’s not a reflection of your worth or abilities. The fact that you’ve been dealing with this since childhood means that these patterns are deeply ingrained, but it also means that with time and support, you can learn new ways to cope. Here are some immediate steps to help you calm down when triggered:

1. Deep Breathing: Try to take slow, deep breaths. Inhale deeply through your nose for a count of four, hold for a count of four, and then exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of four. Repeat this several times.

2. Grounding Technique: Look around you and name five things you can see, four things you can touch, three things you can hear, two things you can smell, and one thing you can taste. This can help bring your mind back to the present moment.

3. Safe Space: If possible, move to a place where you feel safe and comfortable. This can be a quiet room or somewhere familiar to you.

It’s best to practice points 1 and 2 outside of a triggered situation to build familiarity and strengthen these strategies. By incorporating them into your daily routine, you can become more adept at using them effectively when you need them most.

Let’s also take a moment to acknowledge your incredible courage in reaching out and expressing how you feel. It takes a lot of strength to recognise when something is wrong and to seek help. This shows that you are proactive and resilient, even when faced with difficult emotions. Here are some longer-term strategies that might help:

1. Professional Help: Consider talking to a therapist or counsellor. They can help you understand the root causes of your anxiety and work with you to develop customised strategies to manage it. If you’re still in school, please reach out to your school counsellor. Here are some community options you can consider:
  1. Self-Care: Make sure you’re taking care of your physical health. Regular exercise, a healthy diet, and adequate sleep can make a big difference in how you feel.

2. Mindfulness and Relaxation: Practices like mindfulness meditation, yoga, progressive muscle relaxation or box breathing can help reduce anxiety over time.

3. Support System: Talk to friends, family, or a support group about what you’re going through. Having people who understand and support you can make a huge difference.

Remember, feeling helpless and useless is a common experience when dealing with anxiety, but it doesn’t define who you are. There is much more potential within you than the uncomfortable feelings and sensations you get. You have already taken a big step by reaching out and expressing how you feel. With the right support and strategies, you can learn to manage your anxiety and thrive.

The goal of managing anxiety is to build safety within your system gradually, allowing yourself to progress at a pace that feels comfortable for you. Each step forward, no matter how small, brings you closer to a place of greater ease and well-being. Trust yourself and the process, and know that you have the strength and resilience to overcome this challenge.

I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

Take care,
CoolBreeze =)

it always gets too overwhelming that i will start scratching myself. i feel awful

i feel very cold when im having panic attacks that i have to hide in my blanket