Stress from academics & symptoms of depression

How do I study for my exams despite having symptoms of depression? My End of Year exams are coming in about 11 days and I have not really started studying properly as I always get distracted too easily and I always feel moody or low without any triggers. Even though I have symptoms of depression, I do want to do well in my studies

2 Likes

Hi @vanillacake

I’m really sorry to hear that you’re going through such a challenging time, and I truly empathize with your situation. I am proud of you for taking this step to reach out for support on our community platform here. It’s commendable that you want to do well in your exams despite experiencing symptoms of depression. Sometimes, coping with both academic responsibilities and mental health issues can be incredibly tough, and that is why seeking support is so important.

I would like to share a few suggestions that might help:

1. Reach Out for Support: Please don’t hesitate to talk to someone about what you’re going through, whether it’s a friend, family member, or a mental health professional. When you share your feelings and concerns with someone, it is actually a significant first step toward getting the help and understanding you need. It’s also good to consider speaking with a therapist or counselor who can provide guidance and strategies for managing your depression. They can also help you develop coping mechanisms for studying during this challenging time.

2. Create a Study Plan: Break your study sessions into smaller, manageable chunks. You can also try to set realistic goals for each session, and make a schedule that accommodates your energy levels and mood fluctuations. Remember that consistency is key, even if it means studying for shorter periods.

3. Practice Self-Care: Prioritize self-care routines that can help improve your mood and overall well-being. This includes getting enough sleep, eating nutritious meals, and engaging in physical activity. Even short walks or light exercises can be beneficial! If you need some practice, you can try out these resources that we have to help you get going:

a. Deep breathing to keep you calm - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg
b. Positivity exercises - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg
c. Mindfulness activities - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg
d. Releasing your worry - Mental Support & Wellbeing Resources in Singapore to Improve Your Mental Health | mindline.sg

Last but not least, I want to encourage you that it’s entirely normal to have difficulties studying while dealing with signs of depression. Your well-being should always be a priority, so don’t be too hard on yourself, and take things one step at a time.

You’re not alone in this journey, we’re here with you. Take care and all the best!

3 Likes

Maybe this will be helpful, @vanillacake! https://www.mindline.sg/youth/article?type=resource&resource-id=882

1. Break content up into smaller chunks and create a daily timetable :spiral_calendar:

2. Be realistic about what you can achieve in a day :hourglass_flowing_sand:

3. Make sure you take regular breaks

4. Not everyone studies the same way :books:

5. Focus on you - try not to compare yourself to others :index_pointing_at_the_viewer:

6. Drink water, eat and sleep well :sleeping:

7. Breathe :face_exhaling:

2 Likes