struggling with self-harm

is it normal to sometimes really feel the need to hurt yourself - especially at night?

Dear @bananna,

Thank you for your question. I’m really sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing such difficult emotions, and I want you to know that our community is here to support you through this challenging time.

I can imagine that feeling the need to hurt yourself, especially at night, can be incredibly distressing and overwhelming. It’s essential to acknowledge that these feelings are valid, but it’s also crucial to recognise that they are not healthy or beneficial coping mechanisms. It sounds like you might be going through a difficult and emotional period, and it takes a lot of courage to open up about these feelings.

Your well-being and safety are of utmost priority, and I want to encourage you to reach out for professional help as soon as possible. Speaking to a mental health professional can provide you with a safe space to discuss these emotions openly and without judgment. They can help you understand the underlying causes of these feelings and work with you in a more in-depth manner to develop healthier coping strategies.

Remember that you don’t have to face this alone. While our community is here to listen and support you, seeking professional help is vital in addressing these distressing emotions effectively, especially if you are experiencing these urges frequently. It’s understandable that talking about these feelings might be difficult, but please know that mental health professionals are trained to provide empathetic and non-judgmental support.

If you ever find yourself in immediate danger or unable to cope with these feelings, I urge you to seek help right away. Reach out to a mental health helpline such as SOS (1-767) or IMH (63892222) immediately. Both helplines are available 24/7. Your safety and well-being are essential, and I would like for you to know that there are resources available to support you through this difficult time.

It’s okay to ask for help and lean on others during challenging periods. Don’t hesitate to talk to someone you trust, such as a friend or family member, about what you’re going through. Sharing your feelings and seeking support is a courageous step towards healing and finding hope in the process.

If you’re unsure where to start looking for Professional help, looking through this resource may be a helpful place to begin.

Take care of yourself, and remember that there are people who care and want to support you through this journey. Please don’t hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or concerns.

1 Like

HI @bananna

I hear you on your struggles and I’m sorry to hear that you’re experiencing something I assume is distressing and overwelming for you. I personally used to struggle with the urges of wanting/ needing to hurt myself too and I would say that if you aren’t already seeing a professional, I would encourage you to do so.

Therapy is no quick fix, you won’t enter the room (therapy) for 1 time and leave feeling like you no longer want to hurt yourself forever. But it can help process and delve deeper into your root causes as to why you feel like hurting yourself and explore ways to cope with these issues and feelings. It can feel/ be a tiring process, having to dig deep and be vulnerable in sharing your struggles and practicing the skills that you and your therapist agreed on.

I would like to encourage you and say that it’ll be worth it in the end. I would also like to remind you to be kind to yourself and don’t beat yourself if you start to notice yourself wanting to hurt yourself again, thoughts comes and goes but more importantly we are in control of the actions we take and even if you didn’t choose the right one, that’s ok, pick yourself up and tell yourself that next time, you’ll choose better :slight_smile:

I wish you well and take care! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it’s normal to feel more emotional at night but it’s not normal to feel like you want to hurt yourself. Perhaps if you can share more, we can see if there’s anyone in this community who has similar experiences that can help you address these feelings.