Upset about weight gain

Unable to bring myself to do wat is right for me, like ensure I sleep early, eat healthily. I know I am supposed to do these however I just don’t seem to want to do it. And I get extremely upset, break down and show it on my husband whenever I weigh myself

Hi @Jeevashini

Thanks for coming here to share your struggles with us. It takes a lot of courage to be so vulnerable and open in sharing such strong emotions, and I want to commend you on that.

It sounds like you are struggling with weight loss for some time, and it is making you feel helpless and frustrated despite the effort you have put in. This could explain the lack of motivation in achieving your weight loss goals, thus finding it difficult to keep up with the routine you have set for yourself. There are many factors as to why it is hard to get the desired outcome you want for yourself, like genetic, lifestyle, age etc. Sometimes, it can be helpful to take your mind off and step off the weighing scale for a while because it can be discouraging and makes you feel emotional. It might be helpful to give yourself a break or a distraction for some time too.

I would like to share some suggestions towards your situation, and I hope it will be helpful.

1. Be patient with yourself. Do acknowledge that losing weight can be difficult due to external factors. It doesn’t mean that you are not doing well. It takes time and sometimes the progress can be slow. When you are too harsh or critical towards yourself, it could work against your desired outcome and cause you to feel more discouraged.
  2. Celebrate small victories. While you might not be able to eat healthily or sleep early on certain days, I am sure there are days when you can commit to it. Itis important to acknowledge your effort during such times to keep yourself going.
  3. Focus more on your health. Even if you do not see significant results on the weighing scale, it does not mean that you are not progressing. Every healthy choice you make is significant and important towards your goals.
  4. Balance yourself. Having a balance might help in increasing motivation. Sometimes, it is okay to indulge a little, while other days you try to keep healthy. Having such balance can help in boosting your mood and not feel guilty on days when you don’t adhere to the routine.
  5. Plan for small actionable steps. Having a desired goal is helpful in identifying what we want. However, if it seems difficult to achieve, it could likely backfire. When you see that the goal is too far and hard to reach, the motivation to do something could be lesser. Thus it is important to set more achievable for yourself and adjust as you progress.

I hope this is helpful and you find the motivation to lead a healthy lifestyle, not just for your weight but for your body too. All the best and take care!