What are narcissistic behaviours like in real life?

emotional manipulation? dysfunctional relationships? i feel like i can never live up to others in terms of how ‘normal’ my relationships are. or am i just overthinking? i don’t know

2 Likes

You can look up Cinema Therapy on youtube they explain mental health and wellbeing in an interesting way using movie characters.

For context Johnathan Decker is a Licensed Family and Relationships Therapist in the US and his co-host Alan Seawright is a director.

They have a couple of videos on narcissistic movie characters and other interesting topics from various movies as well.

However I do recommend to do more research or seek professional help to get better context and a more complete picture as everyone has unique circumstances and a professional might be able to help you sort some of these thoughts out.

Hope this helps :+1:t2:

Disclaimer Im not a professional haha just someone interested in mental health and wellbeing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hi @anonymous07

I hear you, and it’s completely understandable that you’re struggling with these thoughts and feelings. It’s actually very common for us to question the dynamics of our relationships and wonder if they measure up to some perceived standard of “normalcy.” Please know that everyone’s journey and experiences in relationships are unique, and there is no one-size-fits-all definition of what is considered normal :slight_smile:

Emotional manipulation and dysfunctional relationships can be complex and emotionally draining. If you’re feeling this way, it’s valid, and your emotions deserve acknowledgment.

When it comes to narcissistic behaviors, they can show up in various ways. Narcissistic individuals often exhibit a pattern of self-centeredness, a lack of empathy, a constant need for admiration, and a tendency to exploit others for their own gain. In real life, this might translate into manipulative behaviors, a sense of entitlement, and difficulty recognizing or respecting the needs and boundaries of others.

I have a sense you might have more context to these questions, would you like to share with us more so that we can support you further?

Hear from you soon!

2 Likes

irstly, thank you @otterworldly and @cottonsoul for your responses. what i’m about to say might derail and disappoint you. i’m sorry.

I think i’m the narcissist in the relationship. objectively speaking, I manipulate people a lot and I tend to see them as means to an end. even when I don’t, I get this thought in my head that actually I’m just making use of them to feel like I have friends and to feed my bursting ego. a lot of the time (I don’t consciously think it but like subconsciously) I’ve analysed what my actions might portray, and I think I seem to feel like I’m above doing things with others or any basic human interaction. I think I’m somewhat sociopathic or narcissistic or histrionic. or am I just completely spoiled and attention-seeking? I’m sorry for all this nonsense.

1 Like

Hey @anonymous07 welcome back ! Theres no need to apologies heh what you are saying is totally valid and in fact for me at least I appreciate your honesty :slightly_smiling_face:

Hmm did anyone around mention feeling this way ? Perhaps the fact that you are concerned or aware may indicate some form of genuineness ? Not entirely sure on my end but that’s what I see at least from your words here :otter:

2 Likes

Actually I think you might subscribe to a utilitarian mindset. You’re doing things with a clear end in mind - to achieve specific goals. I don’t think it’s completely narcissistic tbh - unless you feel like you’re above everyone else.

I also read somewhere that narcissists are manipulators and control freaks but not all manipulators and control freaks are narcissists.

2 Likes