Work and kids

I am a full time working mum of 3 . Kids are still young and sometimes I have to work on weekends. I do have a helper as my husband works till midnight .
Sometimes I feel like I have too much on my plate juggling the rigours of work and the stuff that is ongoing at home.
I am very emotional and sometimes not having my husband beside me physically to cope with the children makes me feel helpless .
Things that I do at work , I feel like even though I give my best I am always under appreciated.
Sometimes I feel suicidal.
Not sure if this is normal.

Hi @Calista,

Thank you for reaching out and sharing your feelings and concerns with me. I want to acknowledge the sacrifices you are making as a full-time working mom of three young children. It’s evident that you have a lot on your plate, and it can be challenging to juggle the rigors of work while also managing the ongoing responsibilities at home.

The challenges you’re facing are significant, and it’s understandable that you sometimes feel overwhelmed, emotional, and underappreciated. It can be tough when your husband’s work schedule keeps him away during critical times, leaving you to juggle everything on your own. Your feelings of helplessness are valid and normal.

If you have thoughts about harming yourself, I will encourage you to seek help immediately I.e., visit an emergency department or contact 1767 (SOS 24-hour hotline).

During these demanding times, it’s important to prioritize self-care as best you can. Even in the smallest of moments, find ways to take care of your well-being. Whether it’s taking a brief walk, reading a few pages of a book, listening to uplifting music, or practicing deep breathing exercises, these small acts of self-care can make a meaningful difference in restoring your balance.

Also, consider reaching out to trusted friends who may be able to offer a listening ear and practical assistance. Sharing your struggles with those who care about you can provide a sense of connection and alleviate some of the emotional burden you’re carrying.

Lastly, we want to encourage you to seek help from a mental health professional. They can provide you with a safe space to explore your emotions, develop coping strategies, and offer guidance tailored to your specific circumstances. You deserve support, understanding, and assistance in navigating through these challenging times.

Remember, there is no shame in reaching out for help. It takes courage and strength to acknowledge your struggles and seek support. :muscle:

2 Likes

That really sounds like a lot to handle, I am imagining how difficult it must for you to handle family and work by yourself. On top of that, it sounds to me that you don’t have a lot of free time for yourself too, having to work extra on weekends, which sounds super tiring. I sense how jaded you must feel, and your feelings of being under-appreciated are really valid. It is not easy at all to sustain your energy and holding it together for everyone in the house and feeling all alone. I am concerned that you feel suicidal, wondering what has helped you to cope with all these negative feelings?

1 Like

It must be tough juggling full time work and caregiving for your 3 young children. What do you hope for your husband to help with? If he has to work till midnights on weekdays, is it possible to ask him to help manage the kids on weekends so that you get a break (and some time for yourself?)

I understand that things can be overwhelming at times but know that there are people who appreciate your presence. As your kids grow, I’m sure they will learn about the sacrifices you’ve made and role model after you as a selfless mother.