Workplace Etiquette

Hi everyone, just felt like I needed a platform for me to rant about stuffs at work. My company recently installed a digital clock-in system. When the employee/staff is late, they have to cover back the minute that they are late.

I understand is workplace etiquette whereby you’re not suppose to be late. I usually come late sometimes due to external factors like traffic/accidents but I still cover back the timing and did not leave exactly on the dot. I ever took half day and still cover back the timing that I was late. When I am late, it is not like a good 10mins is probably 5-7 mins.

, when people start to “nag/say” their comments to me, I tend to get slightly irritated and just lose motivation everyday to head to work. Honestly, who is at fault here and how do I control my emotions?

1 Like

Hi meefenbeehoon,

For your company to spend the effort and time to install such device, it probably means that coming in late is actually causing a problem at work.
It depends if you feel like you are part of the company and want to do your part in follow its direction. Or it’s just a job for the time being till you find a better offer or other opportunity that better suit your interests or goals.
But while still in the company, being a good team player and respecting management’s decision will be better for you.
You can consider changing your bedtime habit such as checking insta, scrolling Tik Tok, online shopping, etc to the next morning when you are always early for work. No more nagging and possibly higher pay raise or better appraisal?

2 Likes

hello and welcome to the let’s talk @meefenbeehoon! So it seems like you’re more affected by your co-workers’s comments and not so much about the clock-in system right?

Honestly, I don’t think anyone is at fault. It’s probably a process that your company has invested in because that might help them in monitoring work hours. Are you in like the F&B industry? That seems to be most common for clock-in systems because there are so many part-timers etc that the company needs to keep track of.

I agree that sometimes it can get irritating when people start nagging. What do they say that typically pisses you off most?

Dear @meefenbeehoon ,

Thank you for coming here to share. Your rants are welcome, this is a safe space for you to express yourself and take care of your wellbeing.

It’s understandable how frustrating it can be to navigate the new digital clock-in system, especially with external factors like traffic affecting arrival times. It’s praiseworthy that you make up for any lost time and are conscientious about it.

As for handling comments from others, remember that punctuality is a personal value and belief. It’s okay if our values don’t align with others’. It may be worthwhile for you to self-reflect: if you’re occasionally late due to circumstances like traffic, that’s understandable. However, if lateness becomes a frequent occurrence, it might be worth considering adjustments to your morning routine.

It’s important to consider industry context as well. Flexibility with time is acceptable in some sectors as long as work quality remains high. However, in fields like customer service, timeliness down to the minute is crucial as it directly affects workflow. Consider if your occasional lateness impacts your colleagues’ work experience and is anyone experiencing an inconvenience.

Most importantly, give yourself permission to be okay with not having everyone’s approval. If your value of punctuality isn’t as staunch as others and you’re comfortable with that, you’re not responsible for regulating someone else’s concerns about it. Remember, as long as there’s no negative impact on your work review from your management, focus on maintaining your best work ethic.

For strategies to help regulate yourself, consider this: imagine yourself 5 years from now – will this person’s comment still matter? Additionally, practicing mindfulness or deep breathing exercises can help you stay grounded and regulate your emotions in the moment.

I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

Take care,
Cool Breeze =)