Anxiety over mid career switch

I left my previous job of 2 decades and made a mid career switch. Im experienced alot of anxiety and self doubt. This affected my sleep and it is not helping that my new industry is highly stressful from the onset. How can i cope with the new job anxiety and when do i know that this switch was not for me?

Dear @Anxietyfreak

Thank you for reaching out. Making a mid-career switch after 20 years or more is a significant change, and it’s natural to experience anxiety and self-doubt during this transition, especially in a new and potentially stressful industry. :people_hugging:

Changing careers can evoke feelings similar to grief, often termed “transition grief.” This emotional response stems from leaving behind familiar routines, environments, and relationships. It’s essential to give yourself time to adapt to this new chapter, acknowledging these emotions as the first step towards managing them effectively. :orange_heart:

Anxiety can sometimes act as a protective mechanism in overdrive during periods of change. Body-based relaxation strategies, such as exhaling longer with a sigh, can help activate the body’s relaxation response. This technique signals to your nervous system that it’s safe to calm down, reducing overall anxiety levels.

Here are some strategies for your consideration:

Establishing a routine can provide stability and a sense of control. For example, set a morning routine that includes exercise and meditation before starting work. Break down tasks into manageable steps to build confidence gradually. If you’re learning new software, focus on mastering one feature at a time rather than trying to learn everything in one go. Incorporate stress-relief techniques such as deep breathing, meditation, or mindfulness into your daily routine to stay calm and focused amidst challenges. Take short breaks during the day to practise breathing exercises or go for a walk outside.

Adjusting to a new role takes time, so celebrate small victories like successfully completing a project milestone or receiving positive feedback from a client. Recognise that setbacks are part of the learning process and embrace opportunities for training to improve skills and confidence. Attend industry webinars or workshops to stay updated on trends and best practices, remembering that making mistakes is a natural part of growth and provides valuable learning experiences.

When evaluating your career switch, regularly check in with yourself to assess anxiety levels and overall satisfaction. Journaling about your emotions can help track changes and moments of fulfilment in your new role. Here are five journal prompts that may be helpful:

1. Reflect on the biggest challenge you faced today in your new role. How did you handle it, and what did you learn from the experience?

2. Describe a moment when you felt proud of your progress since starting this new career path. What specific achievements or milestones have you reached?

3. Write about any unexpected insights or skills you’ve gained since making the career switch. How have these discoveries shaped your perspective on your professional journey?

4. Explore your feelings about the work-life balance in your new role. What adjustments can you make to ensure you’re maintaining a healthy equilibrium between work responsibilities and personal well-being?

5. Visualise your ideal career trajectory over the next five years. What steps can you take now to align your current efforts with your long-term goals and aspirations?

Reflect on whether this career aligns with your personal and professional aspirations. Seek feedback from mentors, colleagues, or a career coach to gain insights and guidance based on their experiences. Give yourself a reasonable period to adjust to the new job and set milestones to evaluate comfort levels and job satisfaction. If doubts persist about the fit, explore other opportunities aligned with your goals and well-being.

Remember, transitioning careers involves navigating various emotions and challenges. Taking proactive steps to manage stress and regularly evaluating your feelings can guide you towards determining if this career switch is ultimately the right path for you.

I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

Take care,
Cool Breeze =)

1 Like

Thank you Cool Breeze.

My main purpose of doing a mid career switch was to give back to society as I found my previous job stint unpurposeful. It was a deliberate move and now, im not so sure if my new work is what I wanted.

I have been experiencing a lot of anxiety on a daily basis. I am not sure if brain fog is a byproduct of the anxiety but I just feel very unsettled on a daily basis.

Do i need to seek professional help at this juncture?

I had a mid career switch as well after 15 yrs. yes the anxiety kicks in. After if we have been doing it so well at our previous career.
Dont worry. Take things one at a time. It will gradually fall into place on its own.

You’re most welcome @Anxietyfreak :star_struck:

Thank you for your kindness and willingness to consider giving back to society. Feeling anxious and unsettled, especially during a career switch, is quite common. Brain fog can indeed be a symptom of anxiety, making it hard to concentrate and think clearly.

Seeking professional help could be beneficial, especially if these feelings are affecting your daily life and happiness. A mental health professional can help you explore these emotions, provide customised coping strategies suitable to your unique needs, and guide you through this transition. I hope you find this tool helpful to find further support.