I am 19 and yet I have yet not achieve anything all my life, no higher education or jobs

When I was 17, I got myself kicked out of ite because of my poor attendance(I’ve always struggled with attendance issues in all of my schooling years especially worse in secondary 3 an 4) and so here I am now 19, with no higher education or jobs, only N level. I am thinking of going back to school next year but I am doubtful that I can do it because I have no special qualifications or experiences that people my age have and plus I feel like I am too old for school, what should I do because I am sick of staying at home feeling useless and being a burden to my aging parents

3 Likes

Hi @Wira

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings with us on this platform - it takes a lot of courage to be vulnerable with us and I commend you for your courage.

It sounds like you’ve been through a challenging time, and it’s completely understandable to feel the weight of these past experiences. The feelings of inadequacy, doubt, and a sense of being left behind are entirely valid. It takes a lot of courage to open up about these struggles, and I completely empathize with you.

Firstly, I encourage you to recognize that your past doesn’t define your future. The fact that you’re considering returning to school is a huge and positive step! Remember, your age is not a barrier to education - many people actually do return to school later in life, and each individual’s journey is unique.

Sharing with you some examples to encourage you:

My friend, your worth is not determined by comparing yourself to others. You have your own strengths, capabilities, and a path that’s solely yours. As you think about returning to education, consider it as an opportunity to build upon your skills, knowledge, and most importantly, your self-confidence.

Additionally, reflecting on your interests and passions could help shape your educational and career path. Sometimes, what you’re truly passionate about can guide you in the right direction - and honestly, most of us only find out what we’re truly passionate about at a later stage of life (like yours truly here!)

I would also encourage you to speak to a mental health professional as it might be beneficial to speak with a counselor or an academic advisor at the school you’re considering. They can provide guidance, support, and information about available resources that might assist you in making this transition. I understand it can be a little intimidating to “suddenly” seek support face-to-face, so I’m linking a few online options for you to try:

Limitless : Talk To Someone - Limitless
CPH chat : https://www.cphonlinecounselling.sg/hc/en-us
IMH CHAT : https://www.imh.com.sg/CHAT/Pages/default.aspx
ec2.sg : https://fycs.org/ec2-sg

I understand that it might feel overwhelming sometimes, so please do keep these numbers and contact them in case of emergency or in case you find yourself in crisis:

Last but not least, you’re not a burden to your parents. I believe deeply that they care about you and want to see you happy and fulfilled. Your willingness to take steps towards change shows resilience and determination, and I’m sure they must be so proud of you (just as we are too!). Take one step at a time, and gradually, you’ll find yourself progressing toward a more fulfilling and rewarding future.

You’re not alone in this, we are here to journey alongside you. Please continue to share your thoughts with us and what your next steps are, we’ll be here for you.
Hear from you soon.

2 Likes