I have trouble focusing

Ever since I was a child, I always have problems focusing on a task at hand and my mind would often wander elsewhere. For example, when I was at highschool, when the teacher asked us to do our coursework, I often ended up doing something else, and recently , the problem just got worse. What should I do?

2 Likes

Dear @Ocha ,

THank you for coming here to share with us. It sounds like you’re going through a challenging time with your focus. :people_hugging: It’s important to know that many people experience difficulties with attention, and it’s okay to seek help and find strategies that work for you.

One thing to understand is executive functioning, which includes skills like planning, organisation, and time management. These skills help us focus, stay on task, and achieve our goals. Executive functioning can be improved with practice and the right strategies.

Creating a structured environment can be a good start also. Try to set up a quiet and organised space where you can work with minimal distractions. Breaking tasks into smaller steps can also help; large tasks can feel overwhelming and make it harder to focus, so tackle them one at a time. Setting clear, achievable goals can keep you on track; write down what you need to accomplish and check off tasks as you complete them.

There are many tools and apps designed to help with focus and productivity, such as timers, to-do lists, and focus apps. Taking regular breaks can actually improve your focus. Try working for 25 minutes and then taking a 5-minute break; this technique is known as the Pomodoro Technique. Staying active and healthy is also crucial; regular physical activity, a balanced diet, and good sleep can help maintain focus and mental clarity.

If your difficulties with focus are significantly impacting your daily life, consider talking to a counsellor or a healthcare professional. They can help you explore if there are underlying issues like ADHD or anxiety that might need attention.

Remember, it’s okay to ask for help and take steps to improve your situation. You’re not alone, and with the right strategies, you can manage and enhance your focus and executive functioning skills or find effective ways to cope.

I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

Take care,
Cool Breeze =)

1 Like

hey there i have ADHD and i tend to have this problem too so you aren’t alone :slight_smile: Sometimes i fidget with something or draw at the same time or at least do something that will keep me focused and entertained enough to do task. it may not work for everyone but its just a suggestion, hope you’re doing better<3