Pulling a B in a class

I’m pulling a B in a health class, and I’m getting really worried about it. None of my grades are weighted yet so my GPA is gonna drop, do colleges care about a health class? I only missed four assignments and its already a low B. I know this might seem like attention seeking to some people but I’m genuinely scared, my parents are really strict and while they praise me well for getting As, as soon as it dips into Bs I get harsh talks and punishment. I want to get into a good college as well, I can’t stop thinking about the B, I can’t sleep right now. Is there any ways to raise my GPA? Any recommendations to build a strong college application?

Dear @forggy ,

Thank you for coming here to share your concerns with us. I’m so sorry to hear how stressed you must be feeling about your grade. It’s tough when you’re trying your best and things aren’t turning out as you hoped. :people_hugging:

Colleges look at many factors in your application, not just your GPA. While maintaining good grades is important, admissions officers also consider extracurricular activities, personal essays, letters of recommendation, standardised test scores (if applicable), and your overall course load and the challenges you’ve taken on. A single B in a health class is unlikely to make or break your application. Many colleges understand that students might not excel in every single subject.

Adopting a growth mindset can make a significant difference. Grades are not a reflection of your capabilities or self-worth but rather an indication of areas where you can grow. Gaps in knowledge or skills can be learned and improved over time with effort and the right strategies.

Here are some steps you can take to improve your grade in health class. Start by talking to your teacher and discussing your concerns with them. They might offer extra credit assignments or provide guidance on how to improve in future assessments. Reflect on what may have caused you to miss the four assignments and consider adjusting your routine to avoid similar issues in the future. Creating a study schedule can help you manage your time more effectively and stay on top of your work.

It’s important to address the stress and pressure you’re feeling. If it feels safe, have an open conversation with your parents about how their expectations are affecting you. Sometimes writing a letter can be helpful. They might not realise the impact their reactions are having. Reach out to your school counsellor for support in managing the pressure and stress. They can provide strategies and a safe space to talk about your worries. Additionally, try relaxation techniques like deep breathing and mindfulness.

To strengthen your overall college application, reach out to your school’s college application team for more specific guidance tailored to your situation.

Remember, your worth isn’t determined by a single grade. Colleges are looking for well-rounded individuals who bring diverse experiences and strengths to their campus. Take care of yourself and know that it’s okay to seek support when you need it.

I hope the above has been helpful and if you’d like more resources or if there is anything else you’d like to share with us, please do. We’re here to listen to you, your feelings are valid and you matter! :grinning:

PS: In my opinion, pulling a B still demonstrates a solid understanding and skill in the subject. Celebrate that B because it reflects the work and effort you put in. If doing your best in a subject results in a B without sacrificing your mental health and well-being, that is still an admirable achievement. :clap:t4: :clap:t4: :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

Take care,
Cool Breeze =)

1 Like

Second @CoolBreeze 's notion! Getting Bs doesn’t mean that you are incapable! Sometimes it could be the bell curve too. Grades are just a reflection of what you know at that current moment, you can always improve afterwards :muscle:t3: So don’t worry too much if you have already done your best heh