[TW: Suicide] What is keeping you alive?

I am doing better now but was struggling with suicidal thoughts in the past - what I realised was that I spent a lot of time thinking about reasons to leave, but not reasons to stay. So here I am, creating a post so that we can all share the big and small reasons keeping us alive - hopefully this helps if you are finding reasons to stay alive, like I did. Here are my reasons:

• ice cream
  • my friends
  • being able to travel and explore the world

To anyone who is struggling, I hope you know that things can get better and we have so much to live for.

24 Likes

heyy thanks for sharing this!
It always seem like thereā€™s thousands of reasons to leave, but very few to stay and continue. Iā€™m also in a better place now, but there are periods where I relapse. Initially, I felt that I was too young and hadnā€™t feel enough happiness. Now, I want to stay alive because of food, my friends, books, shows, travelling and seeing the beauty of earth and ā€œexperiencesā€.

The cruel side of humanity is indeed draining but there is always hope for a better tomorrow.

3 Likes

Hi, for those who are feeling a bit low, I have a favourite quote by Oscar Wilde: We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars. I hope you are one of them.

Everyone has their own champagne problems and sometimes humans donā€™t understand one anotherā€™s perspectives and emotions. Some people choose to see the ugliness in this world, the disarray. I hope you choose to see the beauty. To believe there is an order to our days. A purpose.
What is keeping me alive is the future, my goals, the people I love and the person I like. Thank you.

P.S. I donā€™t want to live in vain and I think I am too young to die :wink:

6 Likes

Thank you for posting this. It is always a struggle to deal with suicidal thoughts. It is like a dilemma between wanting to stay and not to live anymore. Whenever I am like this, I always remind myself that there are many things to live for and pain does not last forever:

My reasons:

• my friends
  • my family
  • ocean waves
  • books I havenā€™t read yet

For anyone out there dealing with this, you are not alone in this. I wish everyone the best. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

this post really reminded me to reflect on what Iā€™m living for, so thanks for sharing!

here are my reasons:

• my pets
  • family and friends
  • my aspirations for my dream career

I think itā€™s really easy to lose sight of what we care about when we are overwhelmed with work, school, and personal issues, so itā€™s important to take some time for self-reflection once in a while :slight_smile:

8 Likes

Iā€™m kinda goal-oriented so I donā€™t wanna go until Iā€™ve completed my bucket list in life. The bucket list also keeps growing so I guess Iā€™ll be here for a while.

Also McDonaldā€™s and Ice Cream are. :heart_eyes:. Definitely wanna stay alive to eat more McDonaldā€™s and Ice Cream :icecream:

3 Likes

definitely i would say that one simple thought that keeps me alive is me missing a season of a show that i enjoy watching.
perhaps you can do that too with games or shows or movies that you look forward to :slight_smile:

stay strong

2 Likes

i try to find value in people and conversations- i think that keeps me grounded, and is the reason for getting out of bed every day : ) i remind myself that every conversation i have is unique, because everyone has a different story to tell, and is carrying a POV/ lens that is uniquely their own due to their personal experiences :dizzy:

3 Likes

Hii, so this really prompted me to just think about what makes me happy in general. I know this sounds cliche but harmless gossips just keep me going, like its a nice distraction once in a while. Another thing would be my daily interactions, the little things i do, the little things other people do to make someoneā€™s day better that even the pass bys would notice :slight_smile:

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry I giggledā€¦ That ice cream keeping you alive is funny to me. But hey, whatever does it, works.

My reasons:
-My mother and father who have worked everyday just to provide for me
-My imaginary friends Iā€™ve created inside my mind
-The fear of dying

2 Likes

On the topic of ice-cream, just saw this on dateideas.

1 Like

Having suicide thought was something I experience since young, but what kept me alive was the thought of the number of things I have not experience in my life. I have not traveled to many parts of the world, eaten all the food that I wanted to try, attend the concert of my favourite celebrities and many more. To experience all this in the future is the one thing that keep me going, a little bit like FOMO but it does keep me alive until now.

1 Like

I donā€™t really know. So I try to ask myself, trying to find something that is so important that I canā€™t live without it.
Iā€™ve tried to commit suicide several times. But I always end up treating the wounds. So I guess the only thing that keeps me alive is not a specific thing, but itā€™s me always fail to die.

2 Likes

Hi @Lev have you spoken to a counsellor or trusted adult about your feelings? You are worthy and much loved, and I hope you will find support to help you through your emotions and thoughts. Our community is here to guide you along - pls reach out if there is any way we can help. :heart:

1 Like

Hi @Lev, Iā€™m really sorry to hear that youā€™re feeling this way. I just wanted to commend you on not giving up on yourself. The act of you asking yourself whatā€™s valuable to you in itself suggests to me that youā€™re trying your very best.

Iā€™m curious to know, in your experience, what has prompted you to treat these wounds? Is there anything that has helped heal these wounds, even in the slightest bit?

Perhaps asking yourself these questions could nudge you towards finding your answer to the question above.

Please feel free to reach out if youā€™d like to take the conversation further or require support. :palm_up_hand:

3 Likes

If anyone needs it, here are some quotes that I penned from ā€œReasons to stay alive" by Matt Haig. He writes about his journey through depression, on Falling, Landing, Rising, Living and Being.

• ā€œYou are on another planet. No one understands what you are going
    through. But actually, they do. You donā€™t think they do because the only
    reference point is yourself. You have never felt this way before, and the
    shock of the descent is traumatising you, but others have been here. You
    are in a dark, dark land with a population of millions."
  • ā€œNothing lasts for ever. This pain wonā€™t last. The pain tells you it will
    last. Pain lies. Ignore it. Pain is a debt paid off with time."
  • ā€œMinds move. Personalities shift. To quote myself, from The Humans:
    ā€˜Your mind is a galaxy. More dark than light. But the light makes it
    worthwhile. Which is to say, donā€™t kill yourself. Even when the
    darkness is total. Always know that life is not still. Time is space. You
    are moving through that galaxy. Wait for the stars.'"

This book put feelings into words in a very special way. I hope it helps, even just for a bit.

4 Likes

Very meaningful quote. I resonate with this so much. :face_holding_back_tears:

1 Like

The things that are keeping me alive is:

1. My mother
  2. My girlfriend
  3. My closest friends

They all do not deserve the pain if I try to leave this Earth. Have been trying for a long time, some days it is good, on some days it feels really bad but I will keep holding on.

1 Like

Things that are keeping me alive are
My best friends
Unfinished anime I want to watch
Procrastination
It may seem like a joke but procrastination really helps me
Also my fear of what happens if I survive or how my family and my best friends would feel if I succeeded
Donā€™t give up thereā€™ll be a light in this darkness somewhere no matter how hard it is to find, itā€™ll be there somewhere

2 Likes

Hiā€¦ i am new here and i just saw this post on reasons to stay alive. I am turning 15 on 16 September 2023. I am deeply struggling with wanting to kmsā€¦ I have trouble communicating how i actually feel and i canā€™t directly ask for helpā€¦ so if i feel willing enough to ask, i end up just giving people clues instead of directly saying i need helpā€¦

Iā€™ve survived many attempts since 2021 (Sec 1) i am still struggling. I feel so lonely in my struggles even though i have amazing teachers and counsellors helping me. Im struggling to find a reasons to live.

Can someone help me and give me a reason to live? because i still kinda have faith

3 Likes